LP3 & PPS
• Protein Production Sweden (PPS)
• The European association Core Technologies for the Life Sciences
• The P4EU (Protein Production and Purification Partnership in Europe)
• The EATRIS, the European infrastructure for translational medicine and EATRIS small molecule platform
• The European Deuteration Network DEUNET
• FragMAX – a facility for high throughput fragment screening in drug development by X-ray crystallography
• The DEuteration and MAcromolecular Xtallization (DEMAX) platform of the European Spallation Source ERIC (ESS) (collaboration)
Lund Protein Production Platform (LP3) is a cross-faculty expert center and user facility of Lund University (LU). As such, we provide services and make equipment available in the areas of recombinant protein production, crystallisation, biophysical characterization, and structure determination.
LP3 harbors the LU node of a new national research infrastructure for protein production: Protein Production Sweden (PPS, www.gu.se/pps) and is part of MAX IV FragMAX platform for X-ray aided fragment screening (https://www.maxiv.lu.se/fragmax/). In addition, LP3 provides the laboratories for the biological part of the Deuteration and Macromolecular Crystallization (DEMAX, https://europeanspallationsource.se/science-support-systems/demax) platform of the European Spallation Source ERIC (ESS) and closely collaborates with DEMAX. The service facility is integrated with research training and development of skills in experimental protein science for PhD students and postdocs.
LP3 is fully equipped for recombinant protein production in E. coli and insect cells (BEVS) and protein purification using state of the art chromatography systems.
For crystallisation, the facility is equipped with state-of-the-art nanolitre pipetting equipment with capability to handle lipidic cubic phases for membrane proteins, as well as a plate hotels with the capacity to store and automatically image crystallisation plates. A Tecan liquid handling system and a Dragonfly liquid handler for the preparation of focused crystallisation screens are also available. For optimisation of seeding conditions we have access to an Oryx8.
LP3 is colocalised with and closely collaborates with the DEMAX platform of the ESS on production of deuterium labeled biomolecules (proteins, lipids) for neutron scattering experiments and the development of methods for crystal growth for neutron crystallography.
LP3 is the only academic protein production platform in Sweden providing specialisation in protein production using the baculovirus expression vector system (BEVS, insect cells) and perdeuteration of biological macromolecules.
LP3 has regular access to regular beamtime at BioMAX, the X-ray macromolecular crystallography beamline of MAX IV), for testing crystals produced at LP3 and to collect datasets. LP3 can further process data, solve and refine protein structures.
LP3 is a unique entry point and partner for both research aiming at conventional x-ray protein structure determination, as well as for enabling research using neutron scattering techniques that require deuterated bioreagents.
LP3 and PPS offer services for the entire process chain of production, purification, characterization, protein crystallisation and protein structure determination and structure refinement, or each individual step in the chain.
For more information please see www.lu.se/lp3
LP3 and the Lund University node of PPS is located at the Biology Department (Biology Building A, Sölvegatan 35, 22362 Lund), within the Faculty of Science at LundUuniversity. LP3 is a separate entity within the existing administrative structure of the Department of Biology and follows the working and delegation principles of the Faculty of Science.
For further informations about LP3 please see www.lu.se/lp3
For further informations about LP3 please see www.gu.se/pps
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Natural Sciences
- Agricultural Sciences
- Agricultural Biotechnology
- Other Chemical Engineering
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Bio Materials
- Biocatalysis and Enzyme Technology
- Bioprocess Technology
- Medical Biotechnology
- Other Industrial Biotechnology
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Other Basic Medicine
- Other Medical Biotechnology
- Biomaterials Science
- Biological Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Other Natural Sciences
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Structural Biology
- Other Chemistry Topics
- Has current status as Infrastructure of national interest (Swedish Research Council)
- Protein Production
- Structural Biology
- Protein Structure
- Stable isotope labeling
- Baculovirus vector expression system ( BEVS )
- Fragment screening
- Protein Purification
- Protein Expression
- Neutron scattering