Finn HedefalkPostdoctoral Fellow
Research areas and keywords
UKÄ subject classification
- Human Geography
- Economic History
- Other Computer and Information Science
I have currently been involved in a joint project between the Centre of Economic Demography and the Department of Physical Geography and Ecosystem Science (both at Lund University). The research topics of my PhD project addressed methods for integration and analysis of longitudinal demographic and geographic data at the micro-level. With this, the aim has been to bring new knowledge about how geographic factors on the micro-level affected the living conditions throughout the history. The study area and time period was the pre-industrial rural Scania in Sweden.
I am now a postdoctoral researcher within the project Landskrona Population Study at the Centre for Economic Demography. Within this project, I am studying residential and social segregation, as well as analysing spatial patterns in mortality, within Landskrona town for the period 1900-1968. Currently, we have geocoded the individuals in Landskrona on both address and building level for the period 1948-1968, in which the full residential histories of the individuals are traced. These data enable us, for example, to include individually based segregation measures in when performing longitudinal analyses of residential segregation and socioeconomic differences in mortality. Hence, the project presents a great opportunity to further our knowledge about interactions between humans and environment during the 20th century.
I am involved in the following teaching activities:
- GISA21: Geographical Information Systems, introduction (undergraduate internet course: http://www.nateko.lu.se/education/courses-basic/geographical-information-systems-introduction)
- EXTF80: Geographic Information Technology (http://www.nateko.lu.se/education/courses-basic/geographic-information-technology)
- GISM01 and NGEM01: Supervision of Master's theses regarding GIS topics such as geographic accessibility, Web-GIS and integration of geographic and demographic data (http://www.nateko.lu.se/education/courses-advanced/master-thesis-project-igeon)
- GISM01 and NGEM01: Committe member for the examination board of Master's theses.
- Teaching in the annual/bi-annual research course "Adding the geographic context to demographic analysis" (https://www.ed.lu.se/news/ced-will-give-research-course-adding-the-geographic-context-to-demographic-analysis) at the Centre for Economic Demography, Lund University.
- 2012-2015: Advanced GIS (undergraduate course in GIS: http://www.nateko.lu.se/education/courses-basic/geographical-information-systems-advanced)
- 2012-2016: Web-GIS (graduate course in Web-GIS: http://www.nateko.lu.se/education/courses-advanced/web-gis)
I am involved in the geographic accessibility project "Planning of strategic bicycle infrastructure" at the Faculty of Engineering (LTH). The project aims to develop guidelines and policy recommendations for stategic bicycle planning in Sweden.
Recent research outputs
Research output: Book/Report › Report
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper, not in proceeding