Professor Xue-Song Bai joined the Department of Energy Sciences of Lund University in April 1995 where he heads a research group in the Division of Fluid Mechanics focusing on Reactive Fluid Dynamics. Prof. Bai received his Ph.D. degree in Fluid Mechanics from Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden in 1994 and his Docent from Lund University in 1997. He became senior lecture in the Department of Energy Sciences of Lund University in 1999, and since 2002 he is a professor in the Division of Fluid Mechanics, Department of Energy Sciences of Lund university.
Prof. Xue-Song Bai’s research interests include theory of flame propagation and extinction, mechanisms of pollutant formation in chemically reactive flows, modelling of turbulence/chemistry interaction, direction numerical simulation and large eddy simulation of turbulent reactive flows, modelling of solid/gas and liquid/gas turbulent two-phase reactive flows, with application to different energy conversion processes in internal combustion engines, gas turbines, and biomass furnaces. In 2009 Prof. Bai received a prestigious Frame Grant from the Swedish Research Council of 14 million SEK for research on flame/turbulence interaction in lean premixed flames. In 2012 a paper co-authored by Prof. Bai presented at International Conference of Applied Energy (ICAE 2012) was given the Best Paper Award. In 2018 Prof. Bai was elected the Fellow of Combustion Institute. To date, as the main supervisor Prof. Bai has had 20 Ph.D. students receiving their Ph.D. degree. He has published 142 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 93 conference publications, and 2 book chapters. His citation record is given by an h-index of 33 (source Google scholar).
Prof. Xue-Song Bai teaches Turbulent Combustion, which is a course at Lund University for the 3rdand 4thyear undergraduate students, as well as for Ph.D. students. In 2016, as the principal teacher Prof. Bai taught a CeCOST National Graduate School Course “Turbulent Combustion”, which was given to Ph.D. students in Sweden as well as students worldwide.
Current research projects of Prof. Bai group:
- Modeling of turbulent premixed combustion, Funding agency: STEM through GRECOP/CeCOST
- CFD modelling of biomass combustion, Funding agency: STEM through KC-CeCOST
- Optimum alternative fuel combustion – CFD modelling, Funding agency: STEM through KC-CeCOST
- Partially Premixed Combustion Engines – CFD modelling, Funding agency: STEM through KC-FP
- Fundamental studies of biodiesel and butanol combustion, Funding agency: Swedish Research Council (VR)
- Effect of intrinsic flame instability on turbulent premixed flames: structures, propagation, and modelling, Funding agency: Swedish Research Council (VR)
Recent research outputs
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Paper in conference proceeding