Biomass Utilisation and Transportation Demands

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle


title = "Biomass Utilisation and Transportation Demands",
abstract = "The need for biomass transportation depends on the balance between locally produced biomass and the local demand for fuel. In Sweden, more than 80% of the biomass assumed to be required to replace fossil fuels for the production of electricity and heat can be produced locally within each county, if biomass is extensively utilised. The average transportation distance of the remaining 20% will be between 100 and 200 km, which increases the cost of this biomass by 15–20%. Considering a yearly biomass potential of 430 PJ, based on estimated biomass production conditions around 2015, 190 PJ/yr excess biomass will remain after fossil fuels for electricity and heat production have been replaced. This biomass can be converted to methanol to replace petrol and diesel, or can be used in new electricity production plants. The production of biomass-based methanol will not lead to a high demand for transportation, as the methanol produced from local biomass and can mainly be used locally. Biomass used for electricity production will increase the need for transportation if electricity is cogenerated in district heating systems, as such systems are usually located in densely populated areas with a deficit of biomass.",
keywords = "Biomass, transportation, heat, fossil fuels, electricity",
author = "Leif Gustavsson and P{\aa}l B{\"o}rjesson",
note = "World Renewable Energy Congress Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency and the Environment. Denver, USA. 1996-06-(15-21)",
year = "1996",
doi = "10.1016/0960-1481(96)88457-6",
language = "English",
volume = "9",
pages = "1037--1040",
journal = "Renewable Energy",
issn = "0960-1481",
publisher = "Elsevier",
number = "1-4",